Wednesday 11 July 2007

plans, plans, plans

Hi all,

Following a fairly frustrating week work-wise last week (more delays, running out of ways to fill the time etc etc), had a highly amusing weekend - more boogie boarding followed by more arrack-consumption. Sat night, we travelled about 50km up and down the South Coast by bus in search of a good night out and after trudging round our destination, Hikkaduwa, which seemed to be a ghost town, we were about to give up (flip flops rubbing badly and all desperate for a drink!) when we found, lurking behind an innocent-looking shop front, "Mambo" - and well worth the wait it was too! Beach party to beat all beach parties!

The night descended at the point where Paul and I decided that it would be better value for money to buy a bottle of arrack rather than 5 shots - hmmm. When a second bottle appeared on the table about an hour later, it really was all over as far as dignity or decorum were concerned. My next memory is of 4 of us (me, Karen, Nadine, Paul) wallowing in the waves just behind the bar in a scene as far from the famous one in "From Here to Eternity" as its possible to be. We were all kind of slumped on the beach like seals, still in our clothes (I hasten to add) but having a great time! Lots of lithesome, nubile young people were dancing in the bar, trying their best to look cool - but we were having more fun!

We then decided to dance the night away, dripping sand and salt water all over the place in the process. The night ended with a trip back to Galle in someone's truck and a shower back in the guest house to try to get some of the sand off my body!

All good clean fun...

Anyway, since then, this week has been (yes, you guessed it) another slightly frustrating time but on the bright side, I've now got some work lined up with a few other NGOs, in addition to the two I'm working with - this will fill the next few weeks quite well, and then, after much to-ing and fro-ing and humming and hawing about what to do, I've decided to come home at the end of August (after a few weeks holiday with Kevin).

Now that have made final decision and booked flight (I was thinking about extending for a bit) I feel really excited to be going home but also really determined to make most of rest of time here. Have also realised that I need to start thinking about earning some money again when I get back to UK - chances are I'll only be in Scotland for a couple of months (longer term plans still being finalised) but I'll need to keep the wolves from the door at least - so if anyone knows of any contract/freelance work going in my field, let me know!!!

Off camping in National Park this weekend - so watch this space for updates and hopefully tales of leopard spotting!!

Love to all and thanks to everyone who's been keeping in touch - it's great to hear from you all

xx

No comments: